Dr. Low Choo Chin
Phone : 04-6533609
Faks : 04-6576000
Emel : firstname.lastname@example.org
Comparative Citizienship, Migration, Diaspora, Deportation Studies
- PhD (Arts) School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, the University of Melbourne, 2012
- MA (Arts) School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2007
- B. Ed (Hons) School of Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2005
Key Research Area:
- Comparative Citizenship
- Deportation Studies
- Taiwan Fellowship 2016 Project Title: “Citizenship and Migration: Comparing Immigrant Citizenship in Taiwan and China
- Research University Grant Scheme provided by Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2016-2018 Project Title: “Marriage Migration in Malaysia: Examining the Need for Marital Citizenship and Immigration Reform
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) provided by Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education, 2014 - 2016 Project Title: “Establishing a Deportation Model of Undocumented Migrants in Malaysia
- USM Short-term Grants provided by Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2014 - 2016. Project Title: ‘The Malaysian Diaspora in Australia
Selected Journal Articles:
- Low, C. C. (2015). Defending National Identity and National Interests: The Limits of Citizenship Transnationalism in Germany and China. Journal of International Migration and Integration, 16 (3), 717-741.
- Low, C. C. (2015). Same System, Different Outcomes: Comparing the Implementation of Dual Nationality Treaties in East Germany and China. Europe-Asia Studies, 67 (10), 1656-1684.
- Low, C. C. (2015). The Politics of Emigration and Expatriation: Ethnicization of Citizenship in Imperial Germany and China, Journal of Historical Sociology, DOI: 10.1111/johs.12085
- Low, C. C. (2015). Debates over Liberalising Dual Citizenship: Prospects and Limits in Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China. International Journal of Asia Pacific Studies, 11 (1), 1–33.
- Low, C. C. (2015). China’s Citizenship Diplomacy at Bandung: An Evaluation from the British Perspective. New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies,17 (1), 41-64.
- Low, C. C. (2015). Détente, Recognition and Citizenship: The Case of East Germany. Region: Regional Studies of Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, 4 (2), 265-89.
- Low, C. C. and Ismail, S. H. (2015). The Unwelcome Consuls: The Contested Appointment of Chinese Consuls in Colonial Malaya. Kemanusiaan: The Asian Journal of Humanities, 22 (1), 75-99.
- Low, C. C. (2014).The Repatriation of the Chinese as a Counter-insurgency policy during the Malayan Emergency. Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, 45 (3), 363-392.
- Low, C. C. (2014). The 1963 Strasbourg Convention on Single Nationality Movement:The German Experience. Journal on European History of Law, 5 (2), 41-50.
- Low, C. C. (2014). Rakyat British (BOC) dan Legasi Kolonial di Malaysia [British Overseas Citizens and the Colonial Legacy in Malaysia]. Jebat: Malaysian Journal of History, Politics & Strategic Studies, 41 (2), 50-79.
- Low Choo Chin. (2013). Isu Dwi-kerakyatan dalam pembentukan Kewarganegaraan Malaysia: 1900-1965 [Dual citizenship issues in the Formation of Malaysian nationality, 1900-1965]. Penang: Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- JMS 211 Sejarah Politik Tradisional Malaysia (Traditional Political History of Malaysia)
- JMS313E Modern European History
- JMS412 Sejarah Sosial Moden Malaysia (Modern Social History of Malaysia)
- JMS417 Pensejarahan Barat dan Timur (Historiography)
- Norisah Porin, Kajian Adat Memuja Semangat Padi Masyarakat Kadazandusun di Membakut, Sabah, 1960-2010: Perkembangan, Cabaran dan Kelangsungan Adat (Main Supervisor)
- Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) provided by the Australian government, 2009-2012.
- Fellowship of Universiti Sains Malaysia provided by the Ministry of Higher Education, 2008-2012.
- Member of Asian Population Association (APA)
- Member of German History Society
- Member of Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society.
- Member of Persatuan Sejarah Malaysia
- Member of German Alumni of the DAAD, Kuala Lumpur.
- Member of University of Melbourne Alumni.