Prof. Madya Dr. Saw Kim Guan
Telefon : 04-6534564
Faks : 04-6576000
Emel : firstname.lastname@example.org
Nucleation and growth of zinc oxide nanostructures, nucleation and growth of chemical vapour deposition diamond, surface characterizations, heterostructures, metal contacts, employability studies of distance education graduates, interaction in the virtual learning environment, instructional designing for distance education courses
- Ph.D. 2003, University of Melbourne, Australia
- M.Sc. (Physics) 1994, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- B.Sc. Ed. (Hons.) 1985, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Key Research Areas:
- Semiconductor Physics (Transparent Conducting Oxides, metal doping, metal contacts, heterojunctions)
- Chemical vapour deposition diamond synthesis and applications
- Growth of Nanostructures
- Interaction in e-Learning and distance learning environment (including instructional design)
- Employability for distance learners
Selected Journal Articles:
- Turkish Online Jurnal of Distance Education-TOJDE October 2017 ISSN 1302-6488 Volume: 18 Number : 142-157, Cognitive Load Theory and The Use of Worked Examples as an Instructional Strategy in Physics for Distance Learners: A Preliminary Study
Tjun Kit Min, Tiem Leong Yoon, Chuo Ann Ling, Shahrom Mahmud, Thong Leng Lim, Kim Guan Saw, 2017, Molecular dynamics simulations and photoluminescence measurements of annealed ZnO surfaces, Physica E, 90 28-36.
K.G. Saw, Cognitive Load Theory and the Use of Worked Examples as an Instructional Strategy in Physics for Distance Learners, Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, in press.
- K.G. Saw, N.M Aznan, F.K. Yam, S.S. Ng, S.Y. Pung, 2015, New insights on the Burstein-Moss shift and band gap narrowing in indium-doped zinc oxide thin films. PloS ONE, 10(10) 0141180.
- K.G. Saw, S.S. Tneh, F.K. Yam, S.S. Ng, Z. Hassan, 2014, Determination of Acceptor Concentration, Depletion Width, Donor Level Movement and Sensitivity Factor of ZnO on Diamond Heterojunction under UV Illumination. PloS ONE, 9(2) e89348
- K.G. Saw, S.S. Tneh, F.K. Yam, S.S. Ng, Z. Hassan, 2014, Ohmic-Rectifying Conversion of Ni Contacts on ZnO and the Possible Determination of ZnO Thin Film Surface Polarity. PloS ONE, 9(1) e86544.
- K.G. Saw, Y.T. Lim, G.L. Tan, Z. Hassan, K. Ibrahim, F.K. Yam, S.S. Ng, 2008, Effect of zinc of the growth mechanism of zinc oxide nanostructures in the nitrogen environment, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 41 055506.
- K.G. Saw, O. Majid, N.A. Ghani, H. Atan, R.M. Idrus, Z.A. Rahman, K.E. Tan, 2008, The videoconferencing learning environment: Technology, interaction and learning intersect. British Journal of Educational Technology, 39(3) 475 – 485.
- K.G. Saw, K.Ibrahim, Y.T. Lim, M.K. Chai, 2007, Self-compensation in ZnO thin films: An insight from X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy and time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectroscopy analyses. Thin Solid Films, 515 (5) 2879 – 2884.
K.G. Saw, S.S. Tneh, S.Y. Pung, S.S. Ng, F.K. Yam, Z. Hassan, 2014, Ultraviolet photoresponse properties of zinc oxide nanorods on heavily boron-doped diamond heterojunction, Advanced Materials Research, 832 172-177.
- J. Karamdel, C.F. Dee, K.G. Saw, B. Varghese, C.H. Sow, I. Ahmad, B.Y. Majlis, 2012, Synthesis and characterization of well-aligned catalyst-free phosphorus-doped ZnO nanowires, J. Alloys & Compounds, 512(1) 68-72.
- K.G. Saw, S.S. Tneh, F.K. Yam, S.S. Ng, Z. Hassan, 2010, Ultraviolet photoresponse properties of zinc oxide on type IIb diamond heterojunction, Physica B, 405 4123-4127.
- K.G. Saw, 2007, Effect of diffusion length on the nucleation of chemical vapour deposition diamond, Surf. Sci., 601(24) 5736-5739.
- K.G. Saw, J. du Plessis, 2005, Diamond growth on faceted sapphire and the charged cluster model, J. Crystal Growth, 279(3-4) 349-356.
- K.G. Saw, 2004, Surface reconstruction of alpha-(0001) sapphire: An AFM, XPS, AES and EELS investigation, J. Mater. Sci., 39(8) 2911-2914.
- K.G. Saw, J. du Plessis, 2004, The x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy C 1s diamond peak of chemical vapour deposition diamond from a sharp interfacial structure, Mater. Lett., 58(7-8) 1344-1348.
- K.G. Saw, M.N. Awang, R.M. Idrus, H. Atan, N.A. Azli, I. Jaafar, Z.A. Rahman, Z.A. Latiff, 1999, Educational transition of East Malaysian Distance Learners, Open Learning, 14(3) 14 - 36.
- Saw Kim Guan and Rozhan M Idrus, 1997, Post-Fordist distance education and transformative learning, International Journal of University Adult Education, XXXVI(2) 22 - 35.
Books and Monographs:
- K.G. Saw, Statistical Mechanics, 2nd Ed., Universiti Sains Malaysia Publisher 2015.
- K.G. Saw, Growing Diamond From Gas, Universiti Sains Malaysia Publisher 2015.
- K.G. Saw, M.N. Awang, N.M.M. Nor, P. Murugaiah, S. Soetardjo, W.A.W.M. Nor, S.H. Yen, Self-perceived employability: Case study of distance education graduates from Universiti Sains Malaysia, Universiti Sains Malaysia Publisher 2015.
- K.G. Saw, Basic Principles of the Experimental Design, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia 2015.
- JIF 316 Electronics II
- JIF 415 Statistical Mechanics
- JIF 419 Materials Science
- Graduated 2016 - Tneh Sau Siong, ZnO, Growth Mechanism and Heterostructures on GaN and Diamond. Co-supervisor.
- Lim Yam Tee, Fabrication and physical characterization of zinc oxide thin films, Main Supervisor,graduated in 2014
- Tan Gaik Leng, Characterization of nickel thin film deposited on single crystal zinc oxide and on zinc oxide thin film
- Nornani Md Aznan – Effect of indium-doping on structural, optical and electrical properties of zinc oxide thin films, submitted thesis.
- Chartered Physicist (IOP, UK), Member of the Australian Institute of Physics (AIP)