Dr. Sumiyyah Binti Sabar
Dr. Sumiyyah Binti Sabar
Telefon : 04-6532284
Faks : 04-6576000
Emel : email@example.com
Organic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry
- Ph.D. (Photocatalysis) 2013, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- B.Sc. (Analytical and Environmental Chemistry) 2007, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
Key Research Area:
- Visible light active photocatalyst
- Modification of polysaccharide-based biopolymer
- Adsorption and regeneration of spent adsorbents
- Water and wastewater treatment
- Green microextraction methods
Selected Journal Articles:
- N. Bahrudin, M.A. Nawi, S. Sabar, Immobilized chitosan-montmorillonite composite adsorbent and its photocatalytic regeneration for the removal of methyl orange, Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 126 (2019) 1135 – 1153.
- A.M. Magzoub, A.A.A. Yassin, A.M. Abdel-Rahim, E.A. Gubartallah, M. Miskam, B. Saad, S. Sabar, Photocatalytic detoxification of aflatoxins in Sudanese peanut oil using immobilized titanium dioxide, Food Control, 95 (2019) 206 – 214.
- H.C. Tan, S. Sabar, M.H. Hussin, Development of immobilized microcrystalline cellulose as an effective adsorbent for methylene blue dye removal, South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, 26 (2018) 11 – 24.
- Iqbal, S. Sabar, M.K. Mun-Yee, M.N. Nur Asshifa, A.R.M. Yahya, F. Adam, Pseudomonas aeruginosa USM-AR2/SiO2 biosorbent for the adsorption of methylene blue, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 6 (2018) 4908 – 4916.
- Lelifajri, M.A. Nawi, Sabar, Supriatno, W.I. Nawawi, Preparation of immobilized activated carbon-polyvinyl alcohol composite for the adsorptive removal of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 25 (2018) 269 – 277.
- H. Jawad, S. Sabar, M.A. Mohd Ishak, L.D. Wilson, S.S. Ahmad Norrahma, M.K. Talari, A.M. Farhan, Microwave-assisted preparation of mesoporous activated carbon from coconut (Cocos Nucifera) leaf by H3PO4-activation for methylene blue adsorption, Chemical Engineering Communications, 204 (2017) 1143 – 1156.
- H. Jawad, R. Abd Rashid, K. Ismail, S. Sabar, High surface area mesoporous activated carbon developed from coconut leaf by chemical activation with H3PO4 for adsorption of methylene blue, Desalination and Water Treatment, 74 (2017) 326 – 335.
- A. Islam, S. Sabar, A. Benhouria, W.A. Khanday, M. Asif and B.H. Hameed, Nanoporous activated carbon prepared from karanj (Pongamia pinnata) fruit hulls for methylene blue adsorption, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 74 (2017) 96 – 104.
- Trache, M.H. Hussin, C.H.C. Tan, S. Sabar, M.R. Nurul Fazita, O.F.A. Taiwo, T.M. Hassan, M.K. Mohamad Haafiz, Microcrystalline cellulose: Isolation, characterization and bio-composites application - A review, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 93 (2016) 789 – 804.
- Sabar, M.A. Nawi, Photocatalytic removal of Reactive Red 4 dye by immobilised layer-by-layer TiO2/cross-linked chitosan derivatives system, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (2016) 5851 – 5857.
- KAA 509 Dissertation (2017/2018 onwards)
- KAT 345 Spectroscopic Methods (2016/2017 onwards)
- JIK 414 Chemistry and Environmental Pollution (2016/2017 onwards)
- JIK 401 Research Methods in Chemistry and Seminar (2016/2017 onwards)
- KUE 409 Final Year Project (2014/2015 onwards)
- JIK 590 Project (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 224 Organic Chemistry I (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 102 General Chemistry II (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 101 General Chemistry I (2013/2014)
- Nur Nazrina Binti Ahmad Sabri, Photocatalytic Removal of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid and Quinclorac Herbicides By an Immobilized System of Carbon Coated, Nitrogen Doped and Polyene Sensitized TiO2, Co-Supervisor, Completed in 2017.
- Reem Abdelrahman Mohamed Ali Magzoub, Detoxification of Aflatoxin Contamination in Sudanese Groundnut, Groundnut Oil And Cake, Field Supervisor, Completed in 2018.
- Caryn Tan Hui Chuin, Physicochemical and Adsorption Studies of Immobilized Microcrystalline Cellulose from Oil Palm Fronds as an Adsorbent for Methylene Blue, Co-Supervisor, Completed in 2019.
- Nurul Fitrahanis Binti Razali, Synthesis and Characterization of FexOy Doped TiO2 Immobilized on Activated Carbon for Degradation of Single and Binary Mixture of Methylene Blue and Methyl Orange Dyes Under Visible Light, Co-Supervisor, Completed in 2018.
MSc (Mixed Mode)
- Nurul Akmar Binti Nazri, Synthesis And Characterization Of Water Soluble Chitosan And Its Chlorinated 8-Hydroxyquinoline Based Derivatives For Iron (III) Removal, Main Supervisor, Completed in 2018.
- Huda Bte Abdul Aziz, Synthesis Of Sulfonated Chitosan By Hydrothermal Treatment For The Removal Of Methylene Blue From Aqueous Solution, Main Supervisor, Completed in 2018.
- Nuur Hidayah Binti Yusof, Graft Copolymerization of Chitosan by Poly(ethyleneimine) for the Removal of Acid Red 88 Dye, Main Supervisor, 2016 – current.
Research Grant (As Principal Investigator)
- Synthesis, characterization and mechanistic study of water-soluble halogenated 8-hydroxyquinoline based chitosan derivatives as new anticancer agents, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM 108,200, 1/1/2019 – 31/12/2021.
- Immobilised Doped TiO2/Chitosan-PO4 Layer-By-Layer System For The Photocatalytic Detoxification Of Textile Dyes Under Visible Light Irradiation, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 100,000, 1/4/2018 – 31/3/2021.
- Graft Copolymerization of Chitosan By Polyethyleneimine Via Microwave And Hydrothermal Treatment For The Removal Of Textile Dyes, USM Bridging Grant, RM 9,964, 25/1/2018 – 24/1/2019.
- Investigation on the mechanisms of radiation induced graft copolymerisation of anionic and cationic monomers onto chitosan for the decontamination of environmental pollutants, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM98,200, 1/12/2014 – 31/05/2017.
- Immobilized TiO2/chitosan-Fe(III) layer-by-layer system for the removal of anionic and cationic dyes, USM Short Term Grant, RM 25,000, 1/9/2014 – 30/11/2016.
- Study on textile dyes as photosensitizer in photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutant by chitosan/TiO2 bilayer system, Research University Postgraduate Research Grant Scheme (USM-RU-PRGS), RM 18,000, 15/10/2009 – 14/12/2011.
Research Grant (As Co-Researcher)
- TiO2 quantum dots immobilized onto a chitosan-organosilane thin film for the mitigation of harmful algal blooms, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 64,480, 1/9/2018 – 31/8/2020.
- Fabrication of Nitrogen-Doped Nanoporous and Bifunctional Composites for the Adsorption of Emerging Contaminants (Endocrine Disruptors Compounds and Pharmaceuticals) in Water, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 83,500, 1/5/2018 – 30/4/2020.
- Preparation Of Natural Rubber-Silver Membranes For The Decolorization Of Methylene Blue: Quantification And Kinetic Studies, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 93,000, 1/4/2018 – 31/3/2021.
- Development of Eco-Friendly Nanocomposites for the Photocatalytic Treatment of Contaminated Stormwater, USM Short Term Grant, RM 35,000, 15/2/2018 – 14/2/2020.
- Understanding Organic Magnets Through Muon Science And First-Principle Computational Studies, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 153,233, 31/12/2014 – 31/12/2017.
Achievements and Awards
- Postdoctoral Scholarship from Ministry of Education (MOHE), Malaysia (01/10/2018 - 30/09/2019)
- 2017 Merit Reward under Sanggar Sanjung Award for Publication Category, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 22 October 2018
- Silver Medal Award, 1st International Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand Symposium on Innovation and Creativity (iMIT SIC 2017)
- Bronze Medal Award, 1st International Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand Symposium on Innovation and Creativity (iMIT SIC 2017)
- Silver Medal Award, SIRIM Invention, Innovation & Technology Expo (SI2TE) 2017.
- 2015 Excellence Service Award, Universiti Sains Malaysia (21/3/2016)
- 2011 Excellence Awards under Sanggar Sanjung Award for Publication Category, Universiti Sains Malaysia (11/4/2013)
- Best Oral Presenter Award at the 24th Regional Symposium of Malaysian Analytical Sciences, Langkawi (21/11/2011 – 23/11/2011)
- Fellow under USM Fellowship Scheme, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/11/2007 – 29/2/2012)
- Dean’s Award for 6 semesters, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (2004/2005 - 2006/2007)
Academic Recognition and Leadership
- Postdoctoral Researcher at the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore (01/10/2018 - 30/09/2019)
- Invited Guests for the Higher Education in a Disruptive Landscape: The State and Future of STEM Education Symposium in National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore (24/05/2019 - 25/05/2019) sponsored by Temasek Foundation International
- Programme Manager (Chemistry), School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/1/2016 – 31/12/2018)
- Visiting Researcher at the University of Lorraine (UL), France (21/08/2017 - 31/08/2017)
- Acting Programme Manager (Chemistry), School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/10/2015 – 31/12/2015)
- Editorial Board Member, Science Letters (2018-2019)
- Judge, The 1st International Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand Symposium on Innovation and Creativity (iMIT SiC2017) (26/07/2017 - 27/07/2017)
- Treasurer, Badan Kebajikan Kakitangan, School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 12/05/2017-12/05/2019
- Consultant for the Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) Nanoproducts, NES Synthesis Sdn. Bhd., 04/01/2017
- Editorial Board Member, The 29th Regional Symposium Of Malaysian Analytical Sciences (Abstract Book) (2016)
- Secretary, Chemistry Alumni Club, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 30/03/2016-31/12/2018
- Associate Member, Malaysian Institute of Chemistry (since 2014)
- Associate Member, Malaysian Analytical Sciences Society (ANALIS) (since 2014)