Dr. Sumiyyah Binti Sabar
Dr. Sumiyyah Binti Sabar
Phone : 04-6532284
Fax : 04-6576000
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Organic Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry
- Ph.D. (Photocatalysis) 2013, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- B.Sc. (Analytical and Environmental Chemistry) 2007, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
Key Research Area:
- Modification of TiO2 photocatalytic system for environmental clean-up of water pollutants
- Synergistic photocatalytic-adsorption system for solar and visible light detoxification of environmental pollutants
- Modification and utilization of biopolymer for water and wastewater treatment
Selected Journal Articles:
- H. Jawad, S. Sabar, M. A. Mohd Ishak, L. D. Wilson, S. S. Ahmad Norrahma, M. K. Talari, A. M. Farhan, Microwave-assisted preparation of mesoporous activated carbon from coconut (Cocos Nucifera) leaf by H3PO4-activation for methylene blue adsorption, Chemical Engineering Communications, DOI: 10.1080/00986445.2017.1347565.
- H. Jawad, R. Abd Rashid, K. Ismail, S. Sabar, High surface area mesoporous activated carbon developed from coconut leaf by chemical activation with H3PO4 for adsorption of methylene blue, Desalination and Water Treatment, 74 (2017) 326–335.
- M. A. Islam, S. Sabar, A. Benhouria, W. A. Khanday, M. Asif and B. H. Hameed, Nanoporous activated carbon prepared from karanj (Pongamia pinnata) fruit hulls for methylene blue adsorption, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 74 (2017) 96 – 104.
- D. Trache, M. H. Hussin, Caryn Tan Hui Chuin, S. Sabar, M.R. Nurul Fazita, Owolabi F.A. Taiwo, T.M. Hassan, M.K. Mohamad Haafiz, Microcrystalline cellulose: Isolation, characterization and bio-composites application - A review, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 93 (2016) 789 – 804.
- S. Sabar, M. A. Nawi, Fabrication and application of an immobilized TiO2/chitosan layer-by-layer system loaded with Reactive Red 4 dye for the removal of phenol and its intermediates, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (2016) 10312 – 10323.
- S. Sabar, M. A. Nawi, Photocatalytic removal of Reactive Red 4 dye by immobilised layer-by-layer TiO2/cross-linked chitosan derivatives system, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (2016) 5851 – 5857.
- M. A. Nawi, S. Sabar, Sheilatina, Photocatalytic decolourisation of Reactive Red 4 dye by an immobilised TiO2/chitosan layer by layer system, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 372 (2012) 80 – 87.
- M. A. Nawi, Ali H. Jawad, S. Sabar, W. S. Wan Ngah, Photocatalytic-oxidation of solid state chitosan by immobilized bilayer assembly of TiO2-chitosan under a compact household fluorescent lamp irradiation, Carbohydrate Polymers, 83 (2011) 1146 – 1152.
- M. A. Nawi, Ali H. Jawad, S. Sabar, W. S. Wan Ngah, Immobilized bilayer TiO2/chitosan system for the removal of phenol under irradiation by a 45 Watt compact fluorescent lamp, Desalination, 280 (2011) 288 – 296.
- M. A. Nawi, S. Sabar, A. H. Jawad, Sheilatina, W. S. Wan Ngah, Adsorption of Reactive Red 4 by immobilized chitosan on glass plates: Towards the design of immobilized TiO2-chitosan synergistic photocatalyst-adsorption bilayer system, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 49 (2010) 317 – 325.
- KAT 345 Spectroscopic Methods (2016/2017 onwards)
- JIK 314 Chemistry and Environmental Pollution (2016/2017 onwards)
- JIK 401 Research Methods in Chemistry and Seminar (2016/2017 onwards)
- KUE 309 Final Year Project (2014/2015 onwards)
- JIK 490 Project (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 224 Organic Chemistry I (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 102 General Chemistry II (2013/2014 onwards)
- JIK 101 General Chemistry I (2013/2014)
- Nur Nazrina Binti Ahmad Sabri, Ph.D (Research), The Removal of a Selected Water Pollutant Under Indoor Fluorescent Lamps and Solar Light Irradiation, Co-Supervisor, 2012 -2017
- Nurul Fitrahanis Binti Razali, Master (Research), Modification of Titanium Dioxide for Environmental Applications, Co-Supervisor, 2015 - current
- Nuur Hidayah Binti Yusof, Master (Research), Graft Copolymerization of Chitosan by Anionic and Cationic Monomers under Microwave Irradiation for Adsorption of Dyes, Main Supervisor, 2016 - current
- Caryn Tan Hui Chuin, Master (Research), Physicochemical and comparative studies of microcrystalline cellulose from oil palm fronds (OPF) and coconut husks (CH) as an adsorbent for Methylene Blue, Co-Supervisor, 2016 - current
Academic Recognition and Leadership
- Silver Medal Award, 1st International Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand Symposium on Innovation and Creativity (iMIT SIC 2017).
- Bronze Medal Award, 1st International Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand Symposium on Innovation and Creativity (iMIT SIC 2017).
- Silver Medal Award, SIRIM Invention, Innovation & Technology Expo (SI2TE) 2017.
- Programme Manager (Chemistry), School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/1/2016 – 31/12/2018)
- 2015 Excellence Service Award, Universiti Sains Malaysia (21/3/2016)
- Acting Programme Manager (Chemistry), School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/10/2015 – 31/12/2015)
- 2011 Excellence Awards under Sanggar Sanjung Award for Publication Category, Universiti Sains Malaysia (11/4/2013)
- Best Oral Presenter Award at the 24th Regional Symposium of Malaysian Analytical Sciences, Langkawi (21/11/2011 – 23/11/2011)
- Fellow under USM Fellowship Scheme, Universiti Sains Malaysia (1/11/2007 – 29/2/2012)
- Dean’s Award for 6 semesters, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (2004/2005 - 2006/2007)
RESEARCH GRANT (AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR)
- Investigation on the mechanisms of radiation induced graft copolymerisation of anionic and cationic monomers onto chitosan for the decontamination of environmental pollutants, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM98,200, 1/12/2014 – 31/05/2017.
- Immobilized TiO2/chitosan-Fe(III) layer-by-layer system for the removal of anionic and cationic dyes, USM Short Term Grant, RM 25,000, 1/9/2014 – 30/11/2016.
- Study on textile dyes as photosensitizer in photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutant by chitosan/TiO2 bilayer system, Research University Postgraduate Research Grant Scheme (USM-RU-PRGS), RM 18,000, 15/10/2009 – 14/12/2011.
RESEARCH GRANT (AS CO-RESEARCHER)
- Understanding Organic Magnets Through Muon Science And First-Principle Computational Studies, Research University (Individual) Grant, RM 153,233, 31/12/2014 – 31/12/2017
Profesional Affiliation/ Membership
- Associate Member, Malaysian Institute of Chemistry (since 2014)
- Associate Member, Malaysian Analytical Sciences Society (ANALIS) (since 2014)