Double Degree Programme
Attention: Dateline for Double Degree Programme is on 18th August 2017
Double Degree Programme is a programme offered by School of Distance Education (SDE) for full-time students of Universiti Sains Malaysia in second year and above. The degree offered is the same level as degree programme in SDE and full-time degree in other schools in USM
Programme of education
These programmes are offered starting on 2016/2017 session which include:
Bachelor of Science (Honour):
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Biology)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Physics)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Chemistry)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Mathematics)
Bachelor of Arts (Honours):
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (Geography)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (Literature)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (History)
Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) :
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) (Anthropology and Sociology)
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) (Economy)
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) Political Science
Bachelor of Management (Honours):
- Bachelor of Management (Honours) (Finance)
- Bachelor of Management (Honours) (Organisation)
- Bachelor of Management (Honours) (Marketing)
The system of study offered will follow the system of academic session as practiced in SDE now. Students will follow the existing of School of Distance Education curriculum. For graduate requirement, students need a number of units for the following programme:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) – Mathematics, Biology, and Chemistry = 122 units
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) – Physics = 123 units
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) = 124 units
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) =124 units
- Bachelor of Management (Honour) = 136 units
However, through Double Degree Programme, students only need to complete the course of the selected core courses , while for Elective, Minor, and University Course, students are allowed to transfer the unit at maximum.
Benefits of Programme/ Programme Benefits
Double Degree Programme enables students to obtain two degrees while staying in USM campus. This will give the opportunity for the students to be more competitive, capable, and to have high level of marketability when entering the working field compared to the students who have only one degree.
Double Degree Programme offered a unique learning experience with combination of face-to-face learning, online learning, and self-learning. Face-to-face learning includes lecture sessions, tutorial, and practical during the intensive courses while online learning is supported by video conferencing, WebEx (web conferencing), and various other digital materials which are uploaded in E-learn portal. Self-learning however uses a series of E-lectures/modules that are published by the lecturers.
Location for video conferencing session (live) : Lecture Hall S, Main Campus USM.
This programme is open to all students who have their first degree in USM*. The requirements includes are:
- At least CGPA 2.75 for the first degree which is being followed by the candidate, after the candidate ends the second semester of the degree studies.
- Students are only allowed to take the programmes that are not offered originally by PTJ.
- Students are not allowed to withdraw from the original/first programme.
- Active students need to register at least 10 units for every academic session according to the RPJJ rules.
- Students need to maintain at least CGPA 2.75 in the first/original programme.
- Students need to fulfil at least the minimum admission requirement upon applying for the RPJJ programme.
*Notes: For the time being, Double Degree Programme SDE only open for students of Main Campus USM Penang Malaysia.
How to Apply
Students who are interested may download the Application Form from the SDE website. The form needs to be completed and students must obtain the certificate of their respective Dean of schools before the form is sent to :
Pusat Pengajian Pendidikan Jarak Jauh
Universiti Sains Malaysia
11800 USM, Pulau Pinang
Tel: 04-653 6197
Dateline of application: 18th August 2017
Any inquiries and further information, please contact:
Professor Madya Dr.Noresah Mohd Shariff
Deputy Dean (Academic & International)
Pusat Pengajian Pendidikan Jarak Jauh
Universiti Sains Malayia 11800 USM, Pulau Pinang
Tel: 04-6533930 Fax: 04-6576000