Dr. Tan Wen Nee
Dr. Tan Wen Nee
Phone : 04-6534563
Fax : 04-6576000
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Organic Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry
- Ph.D. (Natural Product) 2014, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- B.Sc. (Chemistry) 2009, Universiti Sains Malaysia
Key Research Area:
- Isolation and characterization of natural products
- Bioactivity studies of natural products
- Flavour and fragrance
- Application of natural products in biomedical related field
- Metabolomics study
1. Tan WN, Wong KC, Khairuddean M, Hemamalini M, Fun H-K. (2011). Absolute configuration of 3β-acetoxyolean-11,12-aziridin-28,13-β-olide. Acta Crystallographica Section E, E67, o1220.
2. Tan W-N, Wong K-C, Khairuddean M, Eldeen IM, Asmawi MZ, Sulaiman B. (2013). Volatile constituents of the fruit of Garcinia atroviridis and their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities. Flavour and Fragrance Journal, 28, 2-9.
3. Tan W-N, Khairuddean M, Wong K-C, Khaw K-Y, Vikneswaran M. (2014). New cholinesterase inhibitors from Garcinia atroviridis. Fitoterapia, 97, 261-267.
4. Tong WY, Zaadah JN, Nurhaida, Tan WN, Melati K, Latiffah Z, Darah I. (2014). Antimicrobial activity of Phomopsis sp. ED2 residing in medicinal plant Orthosiphon stamineus Benth. Annual Research & Review in Biology, 4(9), 1490-1501.
5. Eldeen IMS, Mohamed H, Tan W-N, Siong JYF, Andriani Y, Tengku-Muhammad TS. (2016). Cyclooxygenase, 5-lipoxygenase and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory effects of fractions containing, α-guaiene and oil isolated from the root of Xylocarpus moluccensis. Research Journal of Medicinal Plants, 10(4), 286-294.
6. Tan W-N, Khairuddean M, Wong K-C, Tong W-Y, Ibrahim D. (2016). Antioxidant compounds from the stem bark of Garcinia atroviridis. Journal of Asian Natural Products Research, 18(8), 804-811.
7. Yenn TW, Ring LC, Nee TW, Khairuddean M, Zakaria L, Ibrahim D. (2017). Endophytic Diaporthe sp. ED2 produces a novel anti-candidal ketone derivative. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 27(6), 1065-1070.
8. Leong C-R, Azizi MAK, Taher MA, Wahidin S, Lee K-C, Tan W-N, Tong W-Y. (2017). Anthocyanins from Clitoria ternatea attenuate food-borne Penicillium expansum and its potential application as food biopreservative. Natural Product Sciences, 23(2), 125-131.
9. Rozman NASB, Hamin NSBMN, Ring LC, Nee TW, Mustapha MB, Yenn TW. (2017). Antimicrobial efficacy of Penicillium amestolkiae elv609 extract treated cotton fabric for diabetic wound care. Mycobiology, 45(3), 178-183.
10. Yenn TW, Ibrahim D, Chang LK, Rashid SA, Ring LC, Nee TW, Noor MIBM. (2017). Antimicrobial efficacy of endophytic Penicillium purpurogenum ED76 against clinical pathogens and its possible mode of action. Korean Journal of Microbiology, 53(3), 193-199.
11. Yenn TW, Khan MA, Syuhada NA, Ring LC, Ibrahim D, Tan W-N. (2017). Stigmasterol: An adjuvant for beta lactam antibiotics against beta-lactamase positive clinical isolates. Steroids, 128, 68-71.
12. Tan W-N, Lim J-Q, Afiqah F, Kamal NNSNM, Aziz FAA, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Lim J-W. (2018). Chemical composition and cytotoxic activity of Garcinia atroviridis Griff. ex T. Anders. essential oils in combination with tamoxifen. Natural Product Research, 32(7), 854-858.
13. Tong WY, Abdullah AYKB, Rozman NASB, Wahid MIAB, Hossain MS, Ring LC, Lazim Y, Tan W-N. (2018). Antimicrobial wound dressing film utilizing cellulose nanocrystal as drug delivery system for curcumin. Cellulose, 25, 631-638.
14. Leong CR, Mansur AAB, Rashid SA, Ang SN, Tan W-N, Tong WY, Ibrahim D. (2018). Antimicrobial activity of Aspergillus sp. IBRL MP15 CCL, an endophytic fungus isolated from Swietenia macrophylla leaf against human pathogens. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 14(1), 49-54.
15. Yenn TW, Ring LC, Zahan KA, Rahman MSA, Tan W-N, Alaudin BJS. (2018). Chemical composition and antimicrobial efficacy of Helminthostachys zeylanica against foodborne Bacillus cereus. Natural Product Sciences, 24(1), 66-70.
16. Mohd-Sahiba A-A, Lim J-W, Lam M-K, Uemura Y, Ho C-D, Oh W-D, Tan W-N. (2018). Mechanistic kinetic models describing impact of early attachment between Chlorella vulgaris and polyurethane foam material in fluidized bed bioreactor on lipid for biodiesel production. Algal Research, 33, 209-217.
17. Ring LC, Yenn TW, Nazri NIB, Nee TW, Zahan KA, Ibrahim D, Rashid S. (2018). Chemical optimization of red pigment, monascorubin production in Penicillium minioluteum ED24 using solid-state fermentation. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 43(7), 3485-3491.
18. Rozman NAS, Yenn TW, Tan W-N, Ring LC, Yusof FABM, Sulaiman B. (2018). Homalomena pineodora, a novel essential oil bearing plant and its antimicrobial activity against diabetic wound pathogens. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants, 21(4), 963-971.
19. Khaw K-Y, Murugaiyah V, Khairuddean M, Tan W-N. (2018). Garcinexanthone G, a selective butyrylcholinesterase inhibitor from the stem bark of Garcinia atroviridis. Natural Product Sciences, 24(2), 88-92.
20. Tan W-N, Tong WY, Leong CR, Hanafiah NFM, Ridzuan NS, Rozman NAS, Abdullah SSS. (2018). Chemical compositions and in vitro antimicrobial activity of Cymbopogon nardus on food borne microorganisms. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 14(7), 699-704.
21. Hamin NSBMN, Sahadan MY, Rozman NAS, Nee TW, Yenn TW, Zahan KA, Suzana W, Ring LC. (2019). Development of medical cotton fabrics with Punica granatum L extract finishing for nosocomial infections control. Journal of Natural Fibers, 16(3), 404-411.
22. Sahadan MYB, Tong WY, Tan WN, Leong CR, Misri MNB, Chan M, Cheng SY, Shaharuddin S. (2019). Phomopsidione nanoparticles coated contact lenses reduce microbial keratitis causing pathogens. Experimental Eye Research, 178, 10-14.
23. Nee TW, Ring LC, Arumugam V, Yee JLC, Hin LW, Yusof FAM, Noor MAM, Yenn TW. (2019). Sustained release geraniol nanoparticles inhibit human axillary odor-causing bacteria. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 44(1), 103-109.
24. Rosli S-S, Lim J-W, Jumbri K, Lam M-K, Uemura Y, Ho C-D, Tan W-N, Cheng C-K, Kadir W-N-A. (2019). Modeling to enhance attached microalgal biomass growth onto fluidized beds packed in nutrients-rich wastewater whilst simultaneously biofixing CO2 into lipid for biodiesel production. Energy Conversion and Management, 185, 1-10.
25. Tan W-N, Khairuddean M, Khaw K-Y, Murugaiyah V, Tong WY, Leong CR, Ibrahim D. (2019). Phytochemical screening and biological evaluations of Garcinia atroviridis. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 15(2), 91-104.
26. Ring LC, Yenn TW, Wahidin S, Tan W-N, Abdullah SZB, Jamil NAM, Rahman MSA. (2019). Antimicrobial wound dressing film utilizing nano-cellulose and gelatin as drug delivery system for Garcinia mangostana L extract. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 15(5), 373-378.
27. Gopalan HK, Hanafiah NFM, Ring LC, Tan W-N, Wahidin S, Hway TS, Yenn TW. (2019). Chemical composition and antimicrobial efficiency of Swietenia macrophylla seed extract on clinical wound pathogens. Natural Product Sciences, 25(1), 38-43.
28. Tan W-N, Shahbudin FN, Kamal NNSNM, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Lim J-W. (2019). Volatile constituents of the leaf essential oil of Crinum asiaticum and their antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants, 22(4), 947-954.
29. Rozman NAS, Yenn TW, Ring LC, Nee TW, Hasanolbasori MA, Abdullah SZ. (2019). Potential antimicrobial applications of chitosan nanoparticles (ChNP). Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 29(7), 1009-1013.
30. Basri WNFW, Daud H, Lam MK, Cheng CK, Oh WD, Tan WN, Shaharun MS, Yeong YF, Paman U, Kusakabe K, Kadir EA, Show PL, Lim JW. (2019). A sugarcane-bagasse-based adsorbent employed for mitigating eutrophication threats and producing biodiesel simultaneously. Processes, 7, 572.
31. Tan W-N, Tan Z-H, Zulkifli NI, Kamal NNSNM, Rozman NAS, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Lim J-W. (2020). Sesquiterpenes rich essential oil from Garcinia celebica L. and its cytotoxic and antimicrobial activities. Natural Product Research, 34(23), 3404-3408.
32. Wong CY, Lim JW, Fai FK, Lam MK, Uemura Y, Tan WN, Bashir MJK, Lam SM, Sin JC, Lam SS. (2020). Valorization of exo-microbial fermented coconut endosperm waste by black soldier fly larvae for simultaneous biodiesel and protein productions. Environmental Research, 185, 109458.
33. Rozman NAS, Tong WY, Leong CR, Anuar MR, Karim S, Ong SK, Yusof FAM, Tan W-N, Sulaiman B, Ooi ML, Lee KC. (2020). Homalomena pineodora essential oil nanoparticle inhibits diabetic wound pathogens. Scientific Reports, 10, 3307.
34. Chin IBI, Yenn TW, Ring LC, Lazim Y, Tan W-N, Rashid SA, Yuan CS, Yet ZR, Abdullah SZ, Taher MA. (2020). Phomopsidione-loaded chitosan polyethylene glycol (PEG) nanocomposite dressing for pressure ulcers. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 109(9), 2884-2890.
35. Ring LC, Yenn TW, Nee TW, Hamin NSMN, Yuan CS, Suboh SR, Jamaludin NF, Mubin NIJ. (2020). Antimicrobial evaluation of Parkia speciosa-coated textile in food processing settings. Journal of Natural Fibers, https://doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2020.1758278
36. Tan W-N, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Kamal NNSNM, Muhamad M, Lim J-W, Khairuddean M, Man MBH. (2020). Chemical composition of essential oil of Garcinia gummi-gutta and its antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants, 23(4), 832-842.
37. Rozman NAS, Tong WY, Leong CR, Tan W-N, Rashid SA. (2020). Diabetic wound infection: A review on microbial population and infection control. Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, 28(3), 36-43.
38. Taher MA, Yenn TW, Ring LC, Wahidin S, Noor MAM, Rashid SA, Wen-Nee T, (2020). Antimicrobial activities of endophytic fungi residing in Aloe vera against diabetic wound pathogens. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 16(6), 519-529.
39. Zulkifli NI, Muhamad M, Zain NNM, Tan W-N, Yahaya N, Bustami Y, Aziz AA, Kamal NNSNM. (2020). A bottom-up synthesis approach to silver nanoparticles induces anti-proliferative and apoptotic activities against MCF-7, MCF-7/TAMR-1 and MCF-10A human breast cell lines. Molecules, 25, 4332.
40. Leong CR, Seya T, Tong WY, Tan W-N. (2021). Hepatitis B virus genomic nucleic acid in the activation and maturation of bone marrow-derived dendritic cells. Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, 29(4), 109-119.
41. Rashid SA, Tong WY, Leong CR, Ghazali NMA, Taher MA, Ahmad N, Tan W-N, Teo SW. (2021). Anthocyanin microcapsule from Clitoria ternatea: Potential bio‑preservative and blue colorant for baked food products. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 46, 65-72.
42. Samling BA, Assim Z, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Rashid SA, Kamal NNSNM, Muhamad M, Tan W-N. (2021). Cynometra cauliflora L.: An indigenous tropical fruit tree in Malaysia bearing essential oils and their biological activities. Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 14, 103302.
43. Chean Ring Leong, Nurul Shahida Daud, Woei Yenn Tong, See Yuan Cheng, Wen Nee Tan, Nurhanis Syafiqah Hamin, Khairul Faizal Pa'ee. (2021). Gelatine film incorporated with Clitoria ternatea-derived anthocyanin microcapsules, an effective food packaging material against foodborne pathogens. Food Technology and Biotechnology, 59(4), 1-25.
44. Alagasamy SV, Ramanathan S, Chear NJ-Y, Tan W-N, Ramachandram DS, Ching-Ga A-FT, Ponnusamy Y, Lai C-S, Murugaiyah V. (2021). The potentiation of beta-lactam and anti-bacterial activities of lipophilic constituents from Mesua ferrae leaves against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, 18(2), 339-345.
45. Kashvintha Nagarajan, Woei-Yenn Tong, Chean-Ring Leong, Wen-Nee Tan. (2021). Potential of endophytic Diaporthe sp. as a new source of bioactive compounds. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 31(4), 493-500.
46. Rashid SA, Razali AIM, Tong WY, Leong CR, Tan WN. (2021). Ferulic acid-grafted cellulose nanocrystal film as a feasible antimicrobial finishing for wound dressing. Journal of Natural Fibers, In Press, https://doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2021.1967827
47. Rosman NRA, Tong WY, Rashid SA, Norodin NA, Wahidin S, Tan WN, Leong CR. (2021). Carvacrol-loaded polyvinyl alcohol/montmorillonite clay nanocomposite (PVA/MONT/Carva) as an antimicrobial agent for wound dressing. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 17(4), 352-360.
48. Kong YR, Tay KC, Su YX, Wong CK, Tan WN, Khaw KY. (2021). Potential of naturally derived alkaloids as multi-targeted therapeutic agents for neurodegenerative diseases. Molecules, 26, 728.
49. Nik Nur Syazni Nik Mohamed Kamal, Fatin Athirah Abdul Aziz, Wen-Nee Tan, Agustine Nengsih Fauzi, Vuanghao Lim. (2021). Mechanistic actions between Garcinia atroviridis essential oil and 2 deoxy-D-glucose in cultured PANC-1 human pancreatic cancer cells. Molecules, 26, 3518.
50. Chong JWR, Chan YJ, Chong S, Ho YC, Mohamad M, Tan WN, Cheng CK, Lim JW. (2021). Simulation and optimisation of integrated anaerobic-aerobic bioreactor (IAAB) for the treatment of palm oil mill effluent. Processes, 9, 1124.
51. Rashid SA, Norman N, Teo SW, Tong WY, Leong CR, Tan W-N, Noor MAM. (2021). Cholic acid: a novel steroidal uncompetitive inhibitor against β‑lactamase produced by multidrug‑resistant isolates. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 37, 152.
52. Nagarajan K, Ibrahim B, Bawadikji AA, Lim J-W, Tong W-Y, Leong C-R, Khaw KY, Tan W-N. (2022). Recent developments in metabolomics studies of endophytic fungi. Journal of Fungi, 8, 28.
- Jun-Wei Lim, Kwok-Yii Leong, Mohammed J.K. Bashir, Wen-Nee Tan, Chandra Mohan Sinnathambi, Man-Kee Lam and Thiam-Leng Chew. (2015). Competitive adsorption of phenol and 4-CP. Contemporary of Sciences Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, UTP Press, 139.
- JIK 101 General Chemistry I
- JIK 322 Organic Chemistry II
- JIK 327 Chemical Spectroscopy
- JIK 401 Research Methods in Chemistry and Seminar
- JIK 422 Organic Chemistry III
- JIK 502 Special Topics in Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- JIK 590 Project
- KUE 409 Final Year Project
- Benedict Anak Samling, 2019-Present, Master (Research), Main Supervisor.
- Kashvintha Nagarajan, 2019-Present, Master (Research), Main Supervisor.
- Zolkifli Osman, 2019-Present, Master (Research), Main Supervisor.
- Tan Ai Fein Ching Ga, 2018-Present, Master (Research), Co-supervisor
- Nurul Izzati Binti Zulkifli, 2017-Present, Master (Research), Co-Supervisor.
- Md Abu Taher, 2017-Present, PhD, Co-Supervisor.
- Bebe Syakinah Binti Hashim, Master (Mixed Mode), Co-Supervisor, Graduated (2017).
- Alaa Taha Yasir Al Kanan, Master (Mixed Mode), Co-Supervisor, Graduated (2019).
- Nur Amiera Syuhada Rozman, Master (Research), Co-Supervisor, Graduated (2019).
Academic Recognition and Leadership:
- Visiting Fellow, National Yang-Ming University, 01/10/2019-31/12/2019
- Course Coordinator, Occupational Safety & Health, School of Distance Education, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 01//01/2018-31/12/2020
- Assistant Treasurer, Chemistry Alumni Association, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 30/03/2016-31/12/2018
- Invited Speaker, Introduction to bioactive compounds in medicinal herbs, Workshop on screening for bioactive compound in medicinal herbs using HPTLC, Advanced Medical and Dental Institute (AMDI), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 18-19 October, 2016
Achievements and Awards:
- Taiwan Fellowship, Republic of China (Taiwan), 2019
- Travel Grant, Novo Nordisk Foundation, Denmark, 2019
- USM Hall of Fame Prize (Journal Publication), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2018
- USM Hall of Fame Prize (Journal Publication), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2017
- USM Hall of Fame Award (Journal Publication), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2017
- Excellent Service Award, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2017
Research Grants: (Principal Investigator)
- Volatile and non-volatile constituents and biological activities on Garcinia atroviridis. USM Short Term Grant, RM39,739.20, 15/09/2015-15/03/2018. Completed
- Studies of Cynometra cauliflora essential oils and nanoencapsulation against cytotoxic activity . USM Short Term Grant, RM30,844.20, 15/01/2019-14/04/2021. On-going
- Determination of modulatory mechanism of rosmarinic acid on the biosynthesis of a novel antibiotic Phomopsidione by endophytic Diaporthe fraxini ED2 via metabolomics study. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM120,000.00, 01/01/2019-31/03/2022. On-going
Research Grants: (Co-Researcher)
- Understanding the mechanisms of actions of Caudatus plant extracts on cancer metabolism of HepG2 and AML12 human liver cell lines. Research University (Individual) Grant (RUI), RM100,000.00, 01/03/2016-28/02/2018. Completed
- Pharmacological effects and antibiotic mechanism of a new compound Phomopsidione on extensively drug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM105,700, 03/07/2017-31/12/2019. Completed
- The modulatory effects of biogenic nanoparticles on cytogenetic of extrachromomal DNA and their interactions with the DNA damage checkpoint and repair foci regulatory molecules in both cancerous and non-cancerous human lung cells at the molecular level. Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS), RM87,900, 15/08/2017-14/11/2020. On-going
- Pre-clinical evaluation of the novel antibiotic Phomopsidione in Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia animal models. Prototype Development Reseach Grant Scheme (PRGS), RM150,000.00, 01/09/2019-31/08/2021. On-going
- Member, Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC), United Kingdom, since 2018
- Member, Malaysian Institute of Chemistry (MMIC), Malaysia, since 2017
- Member, Malaysian Natural Products Society (MNPS), Malaysia, since 2017
- Hits: 7460